Success Stories

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Game Time


Visit sicfit.com for more videos

This past Monday in the Women's Only class I attend, the WOD that day was "Randy": 75 power snatches at 55 lbs.


When I first saw this workout the night before, I thought "oh dear god"- it sounded like one of those workouts that would be just as taxing mentally as physically. I wasn't too worried about the weight- 55 lbs. is not that heavy. But something about the number- 75- made me have a lump in my throat.


There's a saying in Crossfit- The WOD you don't want to do is the one you NEED to do.


That pretty much sums up my experience with Randy. It was hard.


But it was just what I needed that day. My life is going through a lot of changes right now. Some days it feels like I may just get swallowed up into the earth. But I have to keep pushing through. One step at a time. That's how I decided to approach Randy.


See, with workouts like this, you have to have a plan. You have to decide how you are going to tackle it, or it can seem endless and insurmountable. You can easily feel overwhelmed and frustrated.


I decided I would do it in sets of 10. After the first 7, I decided I would change that to sets of 5. I did 5 at a time. Touch and go. I decided to take 3 breaths between each set. Maybe this seems neurotic, but this is how I approach my workouts.


On rep #20 I thought "Am I ever going to get through this?"
On rep #40 I thought "Ok, I'm over halfway. But I can't breathe"
On rep #50 I thought "Wow! I got this! Only a few more sets to go"
On rep #60 I heard Tina call Time and thought "shit! she beat me dammit!!!" and got a renewed second wind :)


When I finally called Time at 8:39 (not an amazing time but I didn't care), I almost started crying. I couldn't breathe and because of my emotional state in my daily life, I teared up a little bit. See, I accomplished something that morning. I made it through a really tough workout that I had serious doubts about. I chipped away at it a little at a time. I kept pushing. I kept going back to the bar. I didn't quit.


Each day is a new day. Each workout is a new chance to prove to yourself that you are strong beyond measure- you can do way more than you think you can, and you can HANDLE way more than you ever thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment