Success Stories

Saturday, May 22, 2010

What Should I Eat?! Getting Started


Browsing the Nutrtition section of your local bookstore can be a real nightmare. There are literally hundreds of books out there about what to eat (or not eat). There are so many schools of thought as to diet and exercise. It's hard to know what works and how to incorporate it into our lives.

Most people hear the word "diet" and immediately get anxious.

What do I have to give up?
What weird things do I have to eat?
Will I be hungry all the time?
Will I have to make separate meals for my family?

I'm here to tell you that it can all be done quite easily. It does take a little planning, a little patience, and some trust!

My family and I follow a Paleo-ish diet. What does that entail?

Here's the shortened version: Eat Meat, veggies, fruit, good fats (avacado,nuts, coconut oil/milk, etc.)

Avoid: Grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, and processed/fake foods

Yes, it was hard at first! I used to LOVE cheese. And bagels. And tortillas. And sugar!

Do I completely avoid all these things all the time? NO!!

Do I avoid these things about 90% of the time? Yes.

I urge you to try this out for a month. See how you feel. Maybe this way of eating is for you. Maybe it isn't. But I tell you what happened to me...

After a month of eliminating dairy and grains, that heartburn-y, gass-y, bloated feeling I thought was just a normal part of my life- was gone. The constipation I thought was normal- was gone. The weight I'd been holding on to- GONE!

I will be posting recipe ideas to help you get started. And it is a little tricky at first, but it does get better. And pretty soon, like my husband said after his Chimichanga at Maudie's last night:

"Screw this. It makes my body hurt too much to eat like this! It's not worth it..."

Here are a few websites to get you started:


Remember: Baby steps! We all have to start somewhere...

Have a great weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment