Success Stories

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Story

Using my functional fitness :)
October 2008

Summer 2008. It's the 2nd summer in a row I haven't bothered to buy a swimsuit. I dread going to the pool. My pregnancy swimsuit still fits me. I have stopped counting the number of people who have asked me when I am due. Did I mention my son was 15 months old?!


Baby weight. It is that nagging last bit of weight to go. For some of us, it's a whole lot of weight we can't seem to shake. I lost it all quickly with my 1st child. What was happening this time?


As Moms, we tend to put ourselves last. If you have more than one child, it's even harder to find time for yourself. It's a mixed bag. You know if you exercised you'd actually have lots more energy. But when do you find the time? Your baby is finally sleeping throught the night. The last thing you want to do is get up early to....exercise!


By the Fall of 2008 I had enough. I tried working out in the garage. I tried videos during naptime. Nothing seemed to work. I realized I needed to join a class to get some motivation. But 24 Hour Fitness was not appealing in the least bit.


One day I saw my friend, Maggie. She looked amazing!! She had lost around 20lbs. and was glowing. I asked her what she was doing and she said "CrossFit." Hmmm.... I had seen some t-shirts around town, but all the guys looked way buff. Then my friend, Lara, said "I went to this CrossFit bootcamp and it was soooo hard." I like hard. At Lara's house I saw a postcard for some kind of "I am Crossfit" challenge. I decided to give it a go. At least it would kick start my motivation. I vowed to try it for a few months.


The I am CrossFit challenge was both exciting and intimidating. I had never done any kind of Olympic lifting or even attempted a pullup in my life! I made it through the kickoff and set my alarm for 5 am Monday morning for my first day of class.


January 1. I have no idea what is about to happen to me. I had no idea this was "assessment day". Today's WOD was Angie: 100 situps, 100 pullups, 100 squats, 100 situps. Holy hell. I literally had tears streaming down my cheeks as I jumped up on that box trying to make it through those jumping pullups. But as I got into my car to drive home, I thought, "That was so hard. But I did it!.....damn, I'm gonna be sore tomorrow."


Cut to 8 weeks later. The I am CrossFit Challenge is over and I lost 4% body fat!! I got the hang of the Zone diet, dropped a dress size and was totally hooked on CrossFit. Now 8 months later I have dropped 2 more dress sizes and can finally do a kipping pullup!


If you talk to anyone who has been doing this for a while, you'll hear a common thread- CrossFit isn't just about losing weight or getting fit. It is about belonging to a community of like-minded people who are here to encourage you, cry with you, and tell you to wipe off the dirt and keep on going. It's not just the Coaches. I have enjoyed hanging out with and getting to know the ladies in my classes- something you don't get at globo gyms. We are all here, working together, cheering each other on, and most importantly supporting each other in whatever endeavor we are working on. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?!


Since my background is in education, I decided to merge my love for teaching with my love for Crossfit. I am excited to teach CrossFit Kids classes as well as Adult Bootcamps and am also available for Personal Training. I want to help you reach your goals- whatever they may be!


Are you ready to change your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment